
When the holidays come around I am always on the look out for traditional recipes that I can eat (which means no milk or milk products). So I have been wanting to eat pumpkin pie it has been years since I have had it. So this holiday I was determined to get a recipe. I found one at this website:mykidsallergies.blogspot.com/2007/10/pumpkin-pie-recipe-dairy-free-nut-free.html I tried it out and it worked great!! Micah loved it too, he thought it tasted the same! So give it a try!
The pumpkin filling was based on the pumpkin pie recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook, and I've copied it below.
16 ounce can pumpkin (I used a 15 ounce can of pumpkin)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 slightly beaten eggs
2/3 cup rice milk (substituted for the original 2/3 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup milk)
1. Put the pie crust into a pie dish. Put into oven to bake for 10 minutes or so, just to brown the crust.
2. Combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. Add eggs. Beat until just combined. Gradually stir in rice milk.
3. Pour filling into pie crust.
4. Bake in 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. (The original recipe says 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. That was about 40 minutes for me, but my oven is wierd.) If you're worried about over-browning the crust, cover the edge of the pie with foil for the first 25 minutes of the baking time.
5. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate within 2 hours, cover for longer storage.
1 comment:
Brittney, I love your recipes and ideas. You are a good homemaker!
Post a Comment