I was reading in one of my many mags, Parents, and came across an article called "The New Home-Buying Rules". I figured I'd share this little section of it, if you're interested in the entire article click here. Whether your a ways away from buying, or looking now, I think this little "worksheet" is a good way for you to get an idea of things.
"
Figure out what you can afford.
As alluring as home ownership may be, you need to be on solid financial footing first. Don't begin your search until: 1) You have enough stable income to handle the expected monthly mortgage payments; and 2) You have ample cash on hand to cover the down payment and closing costs. Use this family-specific worksheet to see whether you're there.
Mortgage Math
A. Enter your monthly gross (pretax) household income ___________________
B. Multiply line A by .36 (mortgage lenders generally want your total debt payments to stay below 36 percent of your gross income) ______________________
C. Add up your monthly debt payments (student loans, car payments, credit cars, etc) _______________
D. Calculate how much you spend on child care or preschool/school each month _______________
E. Calculate how much you contribute to a college savings account per month ________________
F. Add up the totals from line C, D, and E ________________
G. Subtract line F from line B _________________
H. Multiply line A by .28 (mortgage lenders generally won't approve a principal and interest payment larger than 28 percent of your monthly income) ________________________
I. Write the smaller of line G or H here ________________
Buying Budget
J. Divide the number you came up with on line I (above) by 5.44 (the average monthly interest cost for every $1,000 you borrow, based on a 30 year fixed-rate mortgage at 5.125 percent, the typical rate at press time) _________________________
K. Multiply that figure by 1,000 _______________
Now, on line I is the largest monthly mortgage payment you can comfortably afford. Note: Lenders don't include child care, school, or college-savings expenses, but families should factor them in)
On line K is the most money you can afford to borrow.
"
No comments:
Post a Comment